Public Service Announcements for: 5/24/17 to 6/15//17
If you have community announcements you would like aired, drop them off at our office, 604 3rd Avenue West in Alexandria at least two weeks prior to the event or fax them to 320-762-2156
The First Presbyterian Church of Osakis invites everyone to a community Fish Fry on Wednesday, May 24th. Serving is from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. This will be held at the Fellowship Hall located at 101 West Oak Street. Free will donations accepted.
Ecumen Bethany Community in Alexandria presents Veteran’s Hill, an opportunity for the public to recognize those that have served, past or present. Solar lit flags can be purchased and will be displayed on the hill below the Chapel. Please submit orders by Wednesday, May 24th. Proceeds applied toward a new patio area. The community is invited to our Veteran’s Hill dedication and Memorial Day program on Friday, May 26th at 1:30 p.m. in the Chapel, located at 1010 Lark Street. For further information you can call: 320-762-2196.
United Way’s Community Impact Coalition wants to let everyone to know of the Mobile Food Drop that will take place on Thursday, May 25th at New Life Christian Church located at 1910 County Road 82 SE in Alexandria beginning at 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. or until food is gone. You are asked to bring your own boxes and baskets to carry food. If you are interested in volunteering please contact United Way at: 320-834-7800.
The Alexandria Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce May “Off the Clock” event will be held on Thursday, May 25th from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. at Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center located at 2100 Arrowwood Lane. This networking event is designed just like the popular Wake Up Alexandria, except it’s held in the afternoon. The event is open to everyone. The $1.00 admission includes appetizers, networking and a chance to win door prizes. All money raised will be donated to the day’s nonprofit recipient, Douglas Area Trails Association (DATA).
The Stearns History Museum announces the Smithsonian Traveling Exhibit “Searching for the ‘70’s”. The museum is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday and 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Saturday’s. Admission is $7.00 for adults, $3.00 for children ages 5 and older. There is also a family cap of $17.00. The museum is located at 235 33rd Avenue South in St. Cloud.
The Great River Regional Library and City of Sartell announce a Pilot Project that will bring library services directly to the new Sartell Community Center. This project is an enhancement to regional library services already used by Sartell residents through GRRL branch libraries in other cities. The project is in the form of a locker system, a payment kiosk and book-drop. Patrons will be able to use the remote system to connect with the Great River collection and pick up their requested materials, return materials that are due, renew existing checked-out materials and make payments on any fines they may have.
The VFW in Osakis is having a Roast Beef, mashed potatoes and gravy dinner with all the fixings on Friday, May 26th from 5:00 to 7:30 p.m. Cost is $9.00 per person, children under 10 is $4.00. Everyone is welcome.
The VFW Auxiliary 936 is having their 1st Annual Rummage and Bake sale on Saturday, May 27th from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the VFW Post located at 1102 3rd Avenue East in Alexandria. If you would like to contribute you can drop off donations on Friday, May 26th from 4:00 to 8:30 p.m. Proceeds will benefit Auxiliary project
Kiwanis 3rd Annual Bike, Trike, Wagon Walk and Roll Parade will be held on Saturday, May 27th from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m. at Lake George in St. Cloud. Decorations provided so you can decorate your ride in the park or you can decorate your own. Event will cancel for weather.
The First Congregational UCC located at 221 7th Avenue West in Alexandria is having their Annual Memorial Day Pancake Breakfast on Monday, May 29th. Serving is from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Price is $8.00 for adults, $4.00 for ages 4 to 10 and under 4 is free. The church is handicapped access on the East side.
The Sauk Centre Public Library has these upcoming events. For more info call: 320-352-3016
- Garden Story Hour for ages 3 to 7 will be held on Tuesday, May 30th from 6:00 to 6:45 p.m. Limit is 30, pre-registration is required
The Gardening Brown Bag Series will be held on Wednesday, May, 31st with Master Gardener Lewis Struthers discussing Marvelous Honeybees. This will be held at the Douglas County Library meeting room from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. These sessions are free of charge without pre-registration. Bring your lunch or snack if you wish and explore Minnesota gardening. This is sponsored by the University of Minnesota Extension Master Gardeners of Douglas County. The sessions are led by Master Gardener volunteers.
The Evansville Art Coalition invites all to attend their First Friday Concert for June featuring Kevin Klimek on Friday, June 2nd at 7:00 p.m. The art center is located at 111 Main Street. This is a free concert, donations are accepted. Bring a treat to share at intermission if you would like. Beverages are provided.
The Alexandria Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce Wake Up Alexandria will be held on Friday, June 2nd from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. at Legacy of the Lakes Museum located at 205 3rd Avenue West in Alexandria. This event is open to everyone. The $1.00 admission includes breakfast, networking and a chance to win door prizes. All money raised will be donated to the day’s nonprofit recipient, Smokey Timbers Campground. All Chamber members will also be placed in a drawing for the Pot of gold, which is currently valued at more than $2,600!
Ruby’s Pantry will be distributing food on Saturday, June 3rd at River of Life Church located at 705 12th Street South in Sauk Centre. Distribution begins at 10:00 a.m. You are asked to bring your own box or clothes basket to carry your food. For a small donation, you’ll leave with two large containers full of food.
Red Cross will be in Douglas, Morrison, Otter Tail, Pope and Todd Counties on these dates, times and locations:
- Wednesday, May 31st from 12:30 to 6:30 p.m. at First Lutheran Church located at 505 W. Holdt in Battle Lake
- Thursday, June 1st from 1:00 to 7:00 p.m. at St. Joseph’s church located at 118 Minnesota St. W. in Grey Eagle
- Tuesday, June 6th from 12:30 to 6:30 p.m. at Sacred Heart Catholic Church located at 105 N. Franklin in Glenwood
- Wednesday, June 7th from 12:00 to 6:00 p.m. at the Community Center located at 5590 County Road 14 in Miltona
- Thursday, June 8th from 1:00 to 6:00 p.m. at the Community Center located at 320 5th St. in Starbuck
- Monday, June 12th from 1:00 to 7:00 p.m. at Calvary Lutheran Church located at 619 3rd Ave. SW in Perham
- Tuesday, June 13th from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Calvary Lutheran Church located at 619 3rd Ave. SW in Perham
- Tuesday, June 13th from 12:00 to 6:00 p.m. at Faith Lutheran Church located at 430 12th St. NE in Staples
- Thursday, June 15th from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at Camp Ripley Armory located at 15000 Highway 115 in Little Falls
To make an appointment you can call: 1-800-RED-CROSS (733-2767) or go online: redcrossblood.org.
The Myrtle Mabee Library (Bryant) of Belgrade has these upcoming events. For more info call: 320-254-8842
- Folded Book Art is for teens and adults, will be held on Saturday, June 3rd from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Limit is 10, pre-registration is required.
- 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is an ongoing program. Give your child the gift of reading and literacy. Track your progress and win prizes. From birth to Kindergarten. Sigh up anytime during open hours.
The Charles Lindbergh House and Museum in Little Falls has the following events and programs for June:
- Saturday’s, June 3rd and 17th, discover Life on the Minnesota Home Front during WWI
- Sunday, June 4th enjoy $1.00 admission to the Historic Site all afternoon
- Friday’s June 9th and 23rd, Lindbergh’s Complex Legacy from Iconic Pilot to Un-American Traitor
For a complete list of all Minnesota Historical Society events visit the website at: mnhs.org/media.
The Lakes Area Humane Society in Alexandria will be hosting MN Snap (low-cost mobile spay/neuter unit) at the shelter on Thursday, June 8th. The shelter is located at 3811 Nevada St. SW. Pre-registration is required. Please call the shelter for eligibility requirements and additional information at: 320-759-2260 or visit the website at: lakesareahumanesociety.org.
Todd County Health and Human Services announces these upcoming events available to the public:
Immunizations and Influenza Vaccine, no appointment necessary, first come, first served.
- Tuesday, June 6th at Todd Co. Health & Human Services located at 212 2nd Avenue South in Long Prairie. Hours are: 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. closed from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m., then from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
Call for appointment for the Immunization clinics listed below:
- Staples, Thursday, June 1st at Lakewood Senior Campus, door C
- Eagle Bend, Tuesday, June 13th at Assembly of God Church
Call 320-533-4652 or 1-888-838-4066 for eligibility, an appointment or more information
Child and Teen Check – ups: Ages 6 months to 21 years old: By Appointment Only, call Debra for an appointment at: 320-533-4652 or 1-888-838-4066
- Thursday, June 1st in Staples
- Tuesday, June 13th in Eagle Bend
- Long Prairie call for an appointment
WIC – Woman, Infants and Children, for more information or to see if you qualify call: 320-732-4456 or 1-888-838-4066
- Thursday, June 1st at Lakewood Senior Campus located at 401 Prairie Avenue NE, door C from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon and from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. Closed from 12;00 to 1:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 13th at Assemblies of God Church in Eagle Bend from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon
Other service available upon request at any Todd county Health and Human Services Clinics:
Dental Varnishing: fluoride varnish is a protective coating that is painted on your child’s teeth to help prevent cavities and to help stop cavities that have already started.
Blood Lead Screening: children’s blood lead levels should be tested at 12 and 24 months of age. Is your child at risk: was your home built before 1050? Was your home built before 1978 with remodeling? Does anyone in the household have a job or hobby that uses lead?
If you have any questions or would like more information about any of these services call Debra at 320-533-4652 or 1-888-838-4066. Family Planning and Health Services by appointment only, for more information or to make an appointment call: 1-877-275-6123
The Gardening Brown Bag Series will be held on Wednesday, June 14th with Master Gardener Joel Kangas discussing Unusual Fruits for Minnesota. This will be held at the Douglas County Library meeting room from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. These sessions are free of charge without pre-registration. Bring your lunch or snack if you wish and explore Minnesota gardening. This is sponsored by the University of Minnesota Extension Master Gardeners of Douglas County. The sessions are led by Master Gardener volunteers.
The 27th Annual Diocesan Council of Catholic Women (DCCW) Fun, Food and Fund Day will be held on Thursday, June 15th at St. Ann’s Church located at 514 First St. SE in Wadena. Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. followed by Rosary and Mass. Cost is $15.00 if registered by June 5th. Late registration and walk-in’s is $20.00. The theme is “Pearls of Wisdom”, so wear your pearls. There will be a silent auction, lunch and door prizes. The Kuhn brothers, Fr. Aaron and Fr. Matthew will entertain.
Alexandria Public Schools/Community Education Classes offered for Summer 2017:
Pre-K Classes: Youth Enrichment
- Dino Diggers (ages 3-5) 1 session for parent/child on Tuesday, June 13th from 9:00 to 10:00 a.m. at Luther Crest Bible Camp
- Animal Poses Yoga (ages 3-5) 3 sessions for parent/child on Wednesday’s June 14th to 28th from 5:15 to 6:00 p.m.
School Age Childcare: Compass Now taking registrations for both Summer Compass and School Year Compass 2017-2018. Register with easy online at: https://alexandria.ce.eleyo.com
- Summer Compass is held at Woodland Elementary School June 12th to August 25th from 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday
Summer Athletic Training:
- Summer Strength Academy (grade 9 to recent alumni) 27 sessions Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri June 12th to July 31st from 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. or 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. No class July 3rd and 4th.
- Summer Speed PLUS Strength Academy (grade 9 to recent alumni) 23 sessions Mon/Tue/The/Fri June 19th to July 31st from 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. or 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. No class July 3rd of July 4th
- Beginner Cardinal PEAK Performance (grade 4-5) 13 sessions Tues/Friday June 13th to July 28th from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. No class July 4th.
Advanced Cardinal PEAK Performance and Summer Academy (grade 8) 13 sessions No class on July 3rd
- Boys: Mon/Wed June 12th to July 26th from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Girls: Mon/Wed June 12th to July 26th from 9:00 to 10:30 a.m.
Cardinal PEAK Performance and Summer Academy (grade 6-8) 13 sessions No classes on July 4th
- Girls: Mon/Wed June 12th to July 26th from 7:30 to 9:00 a.m.
- Boys: Tue/Fri June 13th to July 28th from 7:30 to 9:00 a.m.
- Boys and Girls: Tue/Fri June 13th to July 28th from 9:00 to 10:30 a.m.
- Youth Golf (grade 3-9) 5 sessions: Mon – Fri May 22nd to May 26 from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- Summer Discovery Advantage (grade 6-8) You can pick and choose your weeks – 6 weeks in total: Tue/Thu June 20th to August 3rd No class July 4th and 6th
- All week: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Half Day Week: 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. OR 12:00 to 4:30 p.m.
Private Lessons with Steve Deitz (grade 1-12) Private lessons include: guitar, electric guitar, voice, electric bass, beginning piano and drawing/cartooning. Lessons are available at 30 minute increments. No lessons on July 3rd or 4th
- Mondays June 12th to July 17th from 3:00 to 4:30 p.m.
- Tuesdays June 13th to July 18th from 3:00 to 4:30 p.m.
- Wednesdays June 14th to July 12th from 3:00 to 4:30 p.m.
- Thursday, June 15th to July 13th from 3:00 to 4:30 p.m.
- Fridays June 16th to July 14th from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Movie Maker: 4 sessions each
- Grades 2-3 Mon – Thu June 26th to June 29th from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Cool Off this Summer with Curling (ages 9 and up) Register by Friday, June 18th 4 sessions at the RCC Fridays, June 23rd to July 21st 8:00 to 10:00 a.m. No class Friday July 7th
Youth Art and FACS:
- Making a Mosaic Mural (grade 2-5) 4 sessions Mon – Thu June 12th to 15th 8:00 to 11:00 a.m.
Adult Education classes:
- Like Father, Like Son 1 session at Grand Arbor Theatre Monday, June 5th 4:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- Medicare 1 session at Public Works Conference Room at 526 Willow Dr. Tuesday, June 13th 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. and Wednesday, July 19th 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.
- American Heart Association Heartsaver Certification Course 2 sessions, Wed/Thu June 7th & 8th 5:30 to 8:45 p.m. also 1 session on Saturday, August 26th 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- From Ordinary to Extraordinary, welcome to the beautiful world of Dixie Belle chalk paint, held in the basement studio of Hello Beautiful Boutique and Coffee Shop located at 507 Broadway Street in Alexandria. 1 session 4 different dates: Wednesday, May 31st 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Wednesday, June 14th 1:00 to 3:00 p.m., Wednesday, June 21st 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Tuesday, July 25th 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
- Soapmaking, held at the Potomac Bead Company, 1 session Saturday, June 3rd 9:00 to 11:00 a.m.
Yard and Garden:
- Raspberries in the Home Garden, 1 session Thursday, June 15th 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.
Dance, Exercise and Recreation:
- Summer E Fit, at Nelson Gables Wellness Center Exercise room at 1220 Nokomis St. 11 sessions each on Mondays and Wednesdays or you can do 2x a week. Monday’s June 5th to August 28th 3:30 to 6:00 p.m. and/or Wednesday’s June 7th to August 30th 3:30 to 6:00 p.m. No class July 3rd, 5th, 31st and August 2nd
- Lake History Pontoon Tour, at Arrowwood Resort and Conference Center Docks, 1 session, Wednesday, June 14th 3:00 to 4:30 p.m.,
- Saturday SUP Pilates at Lake Carlos Marina, 1 session, 2 different dates. Saturday’s, June 10th and June 17th at 7:00 to 8:00 a.m.
- Boating Safety at Lake Carlos Marina, 1 session Monday, June 12th 6:00 to 7:15 p.m.
- Stand Up Paddleboarding (SUP) for beginners at Lake Carlos Marina, 1 session, 2 different dates. Friday, June 2nd 6:00 to 7:15 p.m. and Monday, June 5th 6:00 to 7:15 p.m.
- SUP Boot Camp, Lake Carlos Marina, 1 session, Wednesday, June 14th 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
Club REAL Fun, for adults and students with disabilities:
- Spring Fling Picnic, 1 session Thursday, May 25th 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- Pontoon Cruise, 1 session, Kruegers Landing on NE Lake Le’Homme Dieu, Wednesday, May 31st 3:30 to 5:00 p.m.
- Pontoon Fishing: 1 session, Kruegers Landing on NE Lake Le’Homme Dieu Tuesday, June 13th 9:30 to 11:00 a.m.
Registration made easy – online at: www.alexandria.thatscommunityed.com or call: 320-762-3110 ext. 4272 or in person to either the Community Education or Early Education Center offices located in the Woodland Elementary School, 1410 South McKay Avenue.
Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota is launching a new service, Neighbor to Neighbor Companions. This service offers support traveling to medical appointments, grocery shopping, running errands or getting the bills paid and in the mailbox. Its goal is to promote health and independence, particularly for adults over the age of 55. With rapidly aging communities, particularly in rural Minnesota, Neighbor to Neighbor Companions allows these services to become more widely available. If you are interested in receiving a Neighbor to Neighbor Companion or would like to learn more about becoming a companion, you can learn more by calling: 877-540-9443 or by emailing to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For comprehensive information about the work of Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota visit their website at: lssmn.org.
“We Got your Back USA” has officially launched their campaign in Douglas County. We Got your Back USA is a group of concerned citizens realizing the need to better support our law enforcement officials, firemen and emergency medical personnel. We Got your Back USA needs your support, to make a tax deductible donation so local billboards, yard signs, banners and more will show our support to our law enforcement officials that we have their back. To donate visit: wegotyourbackusa.org.
Need to get rid of that lamp or a whole room of furniture? Bring it to Habitat for Humanity’s ReStore on North Nokomis in Alexandria. Donations are accepted Monday thru Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Need to have it picked up? Call 320-762-4255 or 320-759-1989. The ReStore is open for business Thursday thru Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You never know what you might find at the Habitat for Humanity’s ReStore.