Public Service Announcements for: 7/20/17 to 7/31/17
If you have community announcements you would like aired, drop them off at our office, 604 3rd Avenue West in Alexandria at least two weeks prior to the event or fax them to 320-762-2156
The Runestone Museum is proud to announce the Grand Opening of the Ice Age Giants Exhibit. Come in and discover the Ice Age Animals of Minnesota and learn what’s become of them today. Students and adult alike will enjoy our in-depth and easy to navigate Ice Age exhibit that includes local bones and teeth up to 12,000 years old. The Museum is located at 206 Broadway in Alexandria.
The Stearns History Museum announces the Smithsonian Traveling Exhibit “Searching for the ‘70’s”. The museum is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday and 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Saturday’s. Admission is $7.00 for adults, $3.00 for children ages 5 and older. There is also a family cap of $17.00. The museum is located at 235 33rd Avenue South in St. Cloud.
The Great River Regional Library and City of Sartell announce a Pilot Project that will bring library services directly to the new Sartell Community Center. This project is an enhancement to regional library services already used by Sartell residents through GRRL branch libraries in other cities. The project is in the form of a locker system, a payment kiosk and book-drop. Patrons will be able to use the remote system to connect with the Great River collection and pick up their requested materials, return materials that are due, renew existing checked-out materials and make payments on any fines they may have.
The Alexandria Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce celebrated a Pot of Gold winner at its Wake Up Alexandria event, hosted by Alex Rubbish & Recycling, at City Park in Alexandria on July 7. Elden’s Fresh Foods & Downtown Floral won the drawing, which included a prize package valued at $3,056.
The American Veterans Traveling Tribute (AVTT) will be at the Grant County Fairgrounds in Herman from Thursday, July 20th thru Sunday, July 23rd. This traveling wall is an 80 percent scale of the Vietnam Memorial Wall located in Washington D.C. The wall contains every single name etched on the original. The exhibit will be located near the entrance of the fairgrounds and will be open 24 hours a day.
Executive Express will host the Alexandria Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce Wake Up Alexandria on Friday, July 21st from 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. Executive Express is located at 3507 Dakota Street in Alexandria. This event is open to everyone. The $1.00 admission includes breakfast, networking and a chance to win door prizes. All money raised will be donated to the day’s nonprofit recipient, Habitat for Humanity of Douglas County. All Chamber members will also be placed in a drawing for the Pot of gold, which is currently valued at more than $3,000!
The Red Willow Arts Coalition 2017 Summer Concert Series is once again having free concerts on the Douglas County Courthouse lawn on Thursday nights at 7:00 p.m. Bring a lawn chair or blanket and enjoy the music.
- July 20th Rockin Hollywoods – Oldies
- July 27th Loose Change – Classic Country
Rain Policy When rain is imminent concerts will be cancelled with the exception of Rockin Hollywoods (July 20). This concert will be re-located to the Alexandria Area High School Performing Arts Center. Cancellations will be announced to the area radio stations by 2:00pm. We will notify KIKV, Facebook and here on our website if a concert is cancelled. Webiste: redwillowartscoalition.org
Clarissa’s Summerfest – “Flash Back in Time” will be held beginning Friday, July 21st and run Sunday, July 23rd. For a complete list of events and times visit online at: goclarrisa.net
The Charles Lindbergh House and Museum in Little Falls has the following events and programs for July:
- Celebrate national Hammock Day by Relaxing on the Lindbergh Lawn on Saturday, July 22nd
- Explore Lindbergh’s Complex Legacy from Iconic Pilot to Un-American Traitor on Friday, July 28th
For a complete list of all Minnesota Historical Society events visit the website at: mnhs.org/media
The 33rd Annual Fly-In and Drive-In Breakfast will be held on Saturday, July 22nd at the Henning Municipal Airport. Serving is from 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Cost is adults $7.00, children 8 and under is $3.00. Free breakfast to pilots in command. There will be airplane rides for a donation of $30.00 per person. Drawings for door prizes from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. must be present to win.
The Spruce Hill Summer Song Fest will be held on Sunday, July 23rd beginning at 2:00 p.m. This will be held in the historic Spruce Hill Lutheran Church located at 13148 Spruce Hill Park Rd. NE in Douglas County. Enjoy a picnic at nearby Spruce Hill County Park. A free will offering for both activities is much appreciated.
First Presbyterian Church Annual Pie & Ice Cream Social will be held on Sunday, July 23rd. You are invited to join them for pie, ice cream, barbecue’s, chips and refreshments. Serving is from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. This will be held at the Fellowship Hall located at 101 West Oak Street in Osakis.
There will be a fundraiser for Isaac Gorham on Tuesday, July 25th at the Runestone Community Center from 5:00 to 7:30 p.m. Isaac is 27 years old and is battling stage 4 brain cancer. Funds raised will help family with medical costs. Tickets available at Hedine Jewelry, Intergrity Title or call: 320-815-6687. There will be a live auction, silent auction, live music, Mexican street tacos and beverages provided by Raaper’s Eatery. Also, a Harley Davison 2017 Heritage Softail Raffle.
The Gardening Brown Bag Series will be held on Wednesday, July 26th with Low Maintenance Perennials by Pat Jepsen. This will be held at the Douglas County Library meeting room from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. These sessions are free of charge without pre-registration. Bring your lunch or snack if you wish and explore Minnesota gardening. This is sponsored by the University of Minnesota Extension Master Gardeners of Douglas County. The sessions are led by Master Gardener volunteers.
The First Presbyterian Church of Osakis invites everyone to a community supper on Wednesday, July 26th at the Fellowship Hall located at 101 West Oak Street. Serving is from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. The menu will include grilled pork chops and corn on the cob. Free will donations accepted.
United Way’s Community Impact Coalition wants to let everyone to know of the Mobile Food Drop that will take place on Thursday, July 27th at New Life Christian Church located at 1910 County Road 82 SE in Alexandria beginning at 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. or until food is gone. You are asked to bring your own boxes and baskets to carry food. If you are interested in volunteering please contact United Way at: 320-834-7800.
The VFW Auxiliary Salad Luncheon will be held on Thursday, July 27th at St. Mary’s Church located at 420 Irving Street in Alexandria. Serving is from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Cost is $7.00 per person.
The Alexandria Farmers Market will host the Alexandria Lakes Area Chamber of Commerce July “Off the Clock” event on Thursday, July 27th from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. at Big Ole Park located at 200 Broadway Street. This networking event is designed just like the popular Wake Up Alexandria, except it’s held in the afternoon. The event is open to everyone. The $1.00 admission includes appetizers, networking and a chance to win door prizes. All money raised will be donated to the day’s nonprofit recipient, Outreach Food Shelf.
Lakes Area Recreation Board Meeting will be held on Thursday, July 27th at 5:30 p.m. in the Douglas County Conference room 1 (near the license bureau).
Esther Lutheran Church in Parkers Prairie is having an Ice Cream Social on Sunday, July 30th. Serving homemade ice cream, pies and sandwiches from 2:00 to 7:00 p.m. The church is located at 11019 625th Avenue. There will be a hymn sing at 3:00 p.m.
Todd County Health and Human Services announces these upcoming events available to the public:
Immunizations and Influenza Vaccine, no appointment necessary, first come, first served. 212 2nd Avenue South, Long Prairie
- Monday, July 24th 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. Closed 12:00 to 1:00 p.m.
Call for appointment for the Immunization clinics listed below:
Child and Teen Check – ups: Ages 6 months to 21 years old: By Appointment Only, call Debra for an appointment at: 320-533-4652 or 1-888-838-4066
- Long Prairie call for an appointment
Other services available upon request at any Todd County Health & Human Services Clinics:
- Dental Varnishing: fluoride varnish is a protective coating that is painted on your child’s teeth to help prevent cavities and to help stop cavities that have already started.
- Blood Lead Screening: children’s blood lead levels should be tested at 12 and 24 months of age. Is your child at risk: was your home built before 1050? Was your home built before 1978 with remodeling? Does anyone in the household have a job or hobby that uses lead?
If you have any questions or would like more information about any of these services call Debra at 320-533-4652 or 1-888-838-4066.
The Myrtle Mabee Library (Bryant) of Belgrade has these upcoming events. For more info call: 320-254-8842
- 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten is an ongoing program. Give your child the gift of reading and literacy. Track your progress and win prizes. From birth to Kindergarten. Sigh up anytime during open hours.
The Sauk Centre Public Library has these upcoming events. For more info call: 320-352-3016.
- “I Spy” Board, see if you can find all the hidden objects, for ages 3 to 12. Runs through August
- But what does it do? Can you figure out the patient: A new patient each week. For teens. Runs through August
- Animal houses, can you match the animal to their houses. Give it a shot all summer long at the library. For ages 3 to 6.
- A “Monumental” challenge. Can you name that monument just by the clues given? There will be a new monument each week. For ages 6 to 13. Runs through August.
Alexandria Public Schools/Community Education Classes offered for Summer 2017:
Pre-K Classes: Youth Enrichment
School Age Childcare: Compass Now taking registrations for both Summer Compass and School Year Compass 2017-2018. Register with easy online at: https://alexandria.ce.eleyo.com
- Summer Compass is held at Woodland Elementary School June 12th to August 25th from 6:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday
Summer Athletic Training:
- Summer Strength Academy (grade 9 to recent alumni) 27 sessions Mon/Tue/Thu/Fri June 12th to July 31st from 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. or 7:00 to 8:00 p.m.
- Summer Speed PLUS Strength Academy (grade 9 to recent alumni) 23 sessions Mon/Tue/The/Fri June 19th to July 31st from 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. or 7:00 to 8:00 p.m.
- Beginner Cardinal PEAK Performance (grade 4-5) 13 sessions Tues/Friday June 13th to July 28th from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Advanced Cardinal PEAK Performance and Summer Academy (grade 8) 13 sessions
- Boys: Mon/Wed June 12th to July 26th from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Girls: Mon/Wed June 12th to July 26th from 9:00 to 10:30 a.m.
Cardinal PEAK Performance and Summer Academy (grade 6-8) 13 sessions
- Girls: Mon/Wed June 12th to July 26th from 7:30 to 9:00 a.m.
- Boys: Tue/Fri June 13th to July 28th from 7:30 to 9:00 a.m.
- Boys and Girls: Tue/Fri June 13th to July 28th from 9:00 to 10:30 a.m.
- Summer Discovery Advantage (grade 6-8) You can pick and choose your weeks – 6 weeks in total: Tue/Thu June 20th to August 3rd
- All week: 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Half Day Week: 7:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. OR 12:00 to 4:30 p.m.
Adult Education classes:
- American Heart Association Heartsaver Certification Course 1 session on Saturday, August 26th 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- From Ordinary to Extraordinary, welcome to the beautiful world of Dixie Belle chalk paint, held in the basement studio of Hello Beautiful Boutique and Coffee Shop located at 507 Broadway Street in Alexandria. 1 session: Tuesday, July 25th 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Dance, Exercise and Recreation:
- Summer E Fit, at Nelson Gables Wellness Center Exercise room at 1220 Nokomis St. 11 sessions each on Mondays and Wednesdays or you can do 2x a week. Monday’s June 5th to August 28th 3:30 to 6:00 p.m. and/or Wednesday’s June 7th to August 30th 3:30 to 6:00 p.m. No class July 31st and August 2nd
Early Childhood/Family Education – sibling care available for some sessions. Check with Community Ed for session times: 320-762-3305
- Incredible Infants (0-14 months): 5 sessions Monday’s July 10th to August 7th 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.
- Time for Toddlers (12-23 months) 5 sessions Monday’s July 10th to August 7th 10:45 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. or Tuesday’s July 11th to August 8th 8:30 to 10:00 a.m.
- Prime Time Two’s and Three’s (24-47 months) 5 sessions available Monday’s July 10th to August 7th from 8:30 to 10”30 a.m. or Tuesday’s July 11th to August 8th from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Musikgarten (birth – 5 years old with parent) 5 sessions Monday’s July 10th to August 7th from 10:45 to 11:15 a.m. or Tuesday’s July 11th to August 8th from 10:15 to 10:45 a.m.
- Parenting with “PRIDE” (2-7 years old) 5 sessions Monday’s July 10th to August 7th from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- “Ready Set Go to Preschool” (Fall) is for children who will be 3 by January 1st 2018. Sibling care is available only when the parent is attending. 34 sessions:
- Parent and Child: Monday’s September 11th to May 21st 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Child Alone: September 13th to May 23rd from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Parent and Child: Monday’s September 11th to May 21st from 1:15 to 3:15 p.m. Child Alone: Wednesday’s September 13th to May 23rd from 1:15 to 3:15 p.m.
- Parent and Child: Tuesday’s September 12th to May 22nd from 1:15 to 3:15 p.m. Child Alone: Thursday’s September 14th to May 24th from 1:15 to 3:15 p.m.
Registration made easy – online at: www.alexandria.thatscommunityed.com or call: 320-762-3110 ext. 4272 or in person to either the Community Education or Early Education Center offices located in the Woodland Elementary School, 1410 South McKay Avenue.
USDA Seeks Applications for Grants to Support the Development of Rural Community Facilities click on this link for more information
Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota is launching a new service, Neighbor to Neighbor Companions. This service offers support traveling to medical appointments, grocery shopping, running errands or getting the bills paid and in the mailbox. Its goal is to promote health and independence, particularly for adults over the age of 55. With rapidly aging communities, particularly in rural Minnesota, Neighbor to Neighbor Companions allows these services to become more widely available. If you are interested in receiving a Neighbor to Neighbor Companion or would like to learn more about becoming a companion, you can learn more by calling: 877-540-9443 or by emailing to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For comprehensive information about the work of Lutheran Social Service of Minnesota visit their website at: lssmn.org.
“We Got your Back USA” has officially launched their campaign in Douglas County. We Got your Back USA is a group of concerned citizens realizing the need to better support our law enforcement officials, firemen and emergency medical personnel. We Got your Back USA needs your support, to make a tax deductible donation so local billboards, yard signs, banners and more will show our support to our law enforcement officials that we have their back. To donate visit: wegotyourbackusa.org.
Need to get rid of that lamp or a whole room of furniture? Bring it to Habitat for Humanity’s ReStore on North Nokomis in Alexandria. Donations are accepted Monday thru Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Need to have it picked up? Call 320-762-4255 or 320-759-1989. The ReStore is open for business Thursday thru Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You never know what you might find at the Habitat for Humanity’s ReStore.